With such a large variation of names and definitions present when classifying accommodation, people may be left uncertain about where to look and what they are actually getting when booking a stay away from home. For instance, a common question arises of, “what is the difference between staying in a private apartment (such as many featured on Airbnb) and a serviced apartment (such as a House of Fisher apartment)?”
Serviced apartments are becoming such a popular choice for the discerning, savvy business and leisure traveller. Guests staying in serviced apartments receive the benefits and services of a hotel, coupled with the ‘home away from home’ experience and space of apartments, it’s the best of both worlds.
The Apartment (applies to both private short term lets and serviced apartments):
Apartments can range in the number of bedrooms (usually 1-3), they are equipped with fully furnished kitchens, living areas and bathrooms, creating a ‘home from home’ experience, unlike small hotel rooms. Additionally, they are self catered, meaning you have the freedom and option to cook for yourself.
Private short term let / Private holiday let Apartments:
- Maintenance/cleaning – When staying within an apartment it is your responsibility to maintain and clean during the stay, wash and change bed sheets, etc. The apartment may not have been professionally cleaned, meaning there is no guarantee the apartment will meet your standards. You will not know until you open the door! When departing if the apartment is not spotless, a hefty cleaning bill likely awaits upon departure. And if you are hit by a maintenance problem like no hot water, you will likely have to wait until the landlord has organised a plumber, which can take a few days, especially on the w/end.
- Bills – Often bills are not included within the price. Be sure to thoroughly read T&Cs to see what is included and what is an additional cost.
- Unregulated – These private rentals are not regulated. Unlike Serviced Apartments which are highly regulated and must conform to rigorous standards with regards to the product, but also for the safety of guests and staff.
- Health & Safety – Private apartments may fall short of safety requirements. Despite safety being such a hot topic currently, and understandably so, this is rife within the private rental market due to a lack of knowledge, requirements and a desire for cost cutting.
- Flexibility – If circumstances or requirements change before or during your stay, extending or amending is often very difficult. Frequently the future dates will have been booked out, leaving you to ‘up sticks’ and find alternative accommodation.
Serviced Apartments (Based on House of Fisher apartments):
- Maintenance/cleaning – All House of Fisher apartments are professionally cleaned to the high standards of our internal housekeeping team. During your stay a weekly clean is provided with fresh linen/towels, etc and upon departure you are not expected to clean, just leave the apartment respectable. As well as the Housekeeping team, there is a 24hrs Maintenance team available to deal with any emergency that might happen.
- Bills – All bills are inclusive within the costs. This includes water, electric, sky, internet, etc. As a guest you can rest assured the quoted price is the final price without any hidden additions.
- Fully regulated – Our apartments are fully regulated to the high standards of ASAP (The Association of Serviced Apartment Providers). We fully embrace the standards of this independent body and have been awarded their quality accreditation for four consecutive years.
- Health & Safety – Health and Safety is of paramount importance to House of Fisher and no corners are cut. We take proactive steps to ensure the safety of our guests
- Flexibility – When staying with House of Fisher, we offer guests the flexibility to extend their stay if required. We understand that projects and requirements frequently change and therefore we work with you, giving the option to extend your stay if required.
Here at House of Fisher we take pride in providing our customers with exclusive, quality serviced apartments. With our friendly guest services available 24/7, we are always ready to assist should any issues arise, making it all the more relaxing for our customers. Another advantage is that maintenance and housekeeping services are completely inclusive of our serviced apartment costs.
House of Fisher are an accredited member of ASAP (The Association of Serviced Apartment Providers), meaning guests can rest assured that we are fully compliant with Health and Safety. Many within our industry and certainly Airbnb private let apartments are not compliant. This is a huge concern, especially for those booking business accommodation on behalf of colleagues. Further details are available in our article proactive steps ensure the safety and security of our guests.
Private short-term let apartments are likely to be priced cheaper than serviced apartments, making them appear an attractive proposition at first glance. Upon inspection there is a reason that serviced apartments are priced higher and often actually provide far better value when compared to a private apartment. As a comparison we have created the table below comparing private rental apartments to House of Fisher serviced apartments to demonstrate the true value House of Fisher deliver:
|Private short term let Apartments||HOF Serviced Apartments|
|Fully equipped kitchen, living area, bedrooms, bathrooms.||✓||✓|
|24/7 Guest services||x||✓|
|Guaranteed bathroom per bedroom||x||✓|
|Consistent standards across portfolio||x||✓|
|All costs included||x||✓|
|Secure and flexible check in / key availability||x||✓|
|Parking||x||Available at most locations|
|Award winning company with 20+ years experience||x||✓|
|Flexible housekeeping (fresh bed linen, towels, mini toiletries)||x||✓|
|Guest directories – including detailed information and exclusive discounts on local eateries and attractions||x||✓|
So, if you are looking for somewhere to stay in the future for work or leisure, we truly recommend considering booking a serviced apartment due to all the additional inclusive facilities and services there are on offer to make your stay an exceptional one.